DIY Vinyl Decals
How to apply a vinyl decal...
Step one - Surface preparation
Dirt and dust particles will cause vinyl lettering to bubble and not to stick properly.
- Clean the destination surface to remove any dirt and oils.
- Dry surface thoroughly.
Step Two - Vinyl decal preparation
The vinyl decal may have pulled away from the transfer tape during shipping. This action will adhere the vinyl decal to the transfer tape
- Place the product (clear side up) on a smooth flat surface such as a table or resting on a towel
- Take a squeegee and rub firmly across the entire decal. Start from the centre and work out to the edges. You can also use your fingers – I do on wine glasses
Note: If you do not have a squeegee use your fingertips or the sharp edge of a credit card, plastic ruler or similar object.
Step Three - Position the vinyl decal
- Place the decal on the destination surface.
- Level and centre the decal. Pay special attention to level and centre the vinyl decal itself and not the backing paper/transfer tape.
Step Four - Remove the backing paper
- Peel the backing paper away from the DECAL slowly. At an angle, slowly peel away the backing paper underneath without touching the sticky vinyl.
Note: The vinyl decal should stay adhered to the clear transfer tape. If it starts to separate, help it stay together.
- Slowly roll the sticky vinyl and transfer tape onto the destination surface. I like to start in the middle and work my way out however any way would work.
Note: Go very slow and work out any air bubbles with a credit card or your fingers as you go.
Step Five - Secure the vinyl decal to the surface
- Rub the transfer tape a few times. You can also choose to keep the transfer tape on for a few hours however this is not necessary.
Step Six - Finish!
- Gently peel away the transfer tape starting from one corner pulling down at a tight angle across the vinyl decal. Be patient and go slow. There is no rush. Let the vinyl set for 3 days before using. Please note that vinyl labels are not dishwasher safe (cold hand wash only).